Collaboration among learners refers to the process when students come and work together to achieve a common and shared goal, objective. In today’s time, one of the main personality traits that every learner must have is collaboration. With a collaborative approach, not only academic but professional development classroom of the students is ensured. Let us discuss the benefits of collaborative skills to the students.
Benefits of collaborative skills
- Broadens knowledge
When students collaborate and interact with one another, it leads to more and better knowledge. Collaboration is all about a group of students working together to achieve a common goal. And for goal accomplishment, students share their views and opinions to conclude the final steps for practicing and achieving goals. In this process, students tend to listen to each other more. More views, perspectives, solutions, and suggestions broaden the knowledge among the learners.
2. Engages students more in learning
In a classroom, where a teacher speaks and lectures, students simply listen, it becomes monotonous and less engaging. Whereas the collaborative activities give students a chance to speak and share their thoughts and views on the common goal they share. The chance to speak, their views being considered and admired make students better engaged in learning. This increases the academic performance and learning experience of the students.
3. Teamwork and leadership qualities are improved
In the twenty-first century, all professions demand people who can work together patiently to accomplish the company’s goals and objectives. Along with it, leadership skills are also required to actively lead a team and make them work effectively and crack deals. All these skills cannot be grown overnight and hence collaborative approach from schooling days itself helps students to develop teamwork and leadership skills. Working together in groups, communicating, listening, and decision-making help students foster this skill.
4. Better interpersonal skills
Collaboration among learners helps them to foster their interpersonal and social skills. With students listening and helping one another for achieving goals, they tend to form better relationships with one another. Exchange of views, opinions, and perspectives with the help of collaboration allows students to know about different cultures, and backgrounds. This helps learners to enhance their social skills. Because of this, they become good at interacting and working in different social settings and workplaces.
5. Enhance communication skills
When students collaborate, they speak and share their views and knowledge on the goal they want to accomplish. Along with speaking, actively listening to one another is also involved. This helps students to enhance their communication skills to a great extent.
How to introduce collaboration in classes : 3 steps for teachers
Divide the classroom into a few small groups. Among the groups created, collaborative activities will be conducted. To each group, instruct the topic or goal on which they have to work. Explain the topics to them properly and in detail so that they can work accordingly.
Give the groups time to think and perform. If you have given a bigger task, give students the time to complete it accordingly. If the collaboration is a classroom activity, give students enough time to discuss and complete the work. Keep checking the students, take around in the class and help them if needed.
After giving them appropriate time, ask them to show and present their work. Since it is a collaborative activity, review every student and ask for conclusions. Appreciate their performance and guide them for improvement and betterment. This will help learners to enhance their collaborative skills.
Some collaborative activities for the classroom
- Pair and present: pair the students and give them a topic to work on. This will give them a chance to share and learn with one another. After assigning them the topic, give them some time to work. Later, ask them to present the topic in front of the classroom. This will not only enhance collaboration but also communication and confidence among the learners. To teach online and conventionally better, teachers must organize such activities in the classroom.
- Group discussions: another collaborative activity is conducting group discussions. Divide your classroom into a few groups and assign them some good topics to discuss respectively. With the help of group discussions, students share their thoughts and views and collaborate to draw the final thoughts and conclusions to the assigned topic.
- Extracurricular activities: the best way to make students collaborate is by organizing extracurricular activities for them. Sports activities, games, dance, music, art, and craft allows students to play and work together. They interact and engage with one another more. Teamwork, empathy, and interpersonal skills are also enhanced this way.
By reading the above-mentioned information we can make out the benefits and importance of collaborative skills for learners. This enhances their academic and professional growth. We also discussed some collaborative activities that teachers can introduce and practice in the classrooms.